What is Product of the Year?
How is Product of the Year different from other awards?
Focus on Innovation. POY exists to help guide shoppers to the best new innovative products as determined by consumers just like them. For winning products, this is not only an acknowledgement for innovation in the eyes of the industry, but a proven ROI tool.
100% Consumer-Voted. There are no experts or lab coats involved. Products are voted on entirely by a nationally representative sample of U.S. consumers.
100% Independent. The competing products have no other interest in being included other than to put their product to the test of consumers. There are no advertising discounts or packaged deals that often come with magazine awards.
100% Transparent. Brands can participate only if they enter and once a brand wins, the award is theirs to use. We don’t “nominate” brands or ask for a percentage of their sales if they win.
Nationally Representative. The 40,000 consumers who vote are independently recruited by TNS to represent the national grocery shopping population. These people are not affiliated with magazine subscriptions and are 100% bias-free.
27 Years of History. Founded 27 years ago in France, Product of the Year has long been the standard of consumer confidence around the world.
42 Countries. POY is a powerful concept that works in every market. Over the past 27 years, we’ve grown to 42 countries and are still growing. In the last three years alone we made our debut in Turkey, Luxembourg, Kuwait, and Lebanon.
Nation’s Largest Study. With over 40,000 Americans voting on products, POY conducts the nation’s largest consumer survey on innovation. Our research partner TNS conducts this study with a representative sample of the U.S. population – therefore reflecting the opinions of the nation rather than a group of subscribers to one magazine or volunteers.
What products qualify?
If you have a great product, it doesn’t matter if it’s been out almost the full year or is just about to launch.
If you’re not sure, give us a call and we can help figure out if you should be entering.
How do you define innovation?
How are the winners determined?
Can I enter more than one product?
When can I enter?
What are the categories?
We work with TNS Research to make sure only comparable products compete with each other and there are never less than 2 or more than 6 products in a category.
How much does it cost?
What are the benefits of winning?
At the very least all winners are guaranteed the following:
- Inclusion in nationwide PR campaign to feature all winners – averaging over 350 million media impressions annually
- All finalists receive TNS research report regardless of outcome – a study worth $28,000 alone
On top of that, being able to use the seal allows you to:
- Use it in consumer-facing marketing campaigns to drive trial
- Use it in PR outreach as “new” news to secure media coverage
- Use it with salesforce and retail partners to increase visibility and distribution
- Use it in industry relations to support your company’s reputation for innovation
- Use it internally to boost morale and set example
And this is why we know it works:
- 25-year track history across the globe
- 10-15% average sales increase reported by winner
- 135% and 120% sales increases reported by Pantene Pro-V and Herbal Essence
- 47% of American shoppers said they would buy a product endorsed by 40,000 consumers just like them
- 25% of Americans would buy a product featuring the POY seal over the word “New!”
- 36% of American shoppers would believe an ad featuring the POY seal backed by 40,000 consumers